Skip to Store Area:

 
The Basics of a Healthy Diet


Costas explains…

1. Wholefoods versus Processed Foods
If we take the example of a grain of wheat, then the outer husk is the Bran or ‘fibre’ . You have the Germ and whats left is the starchy Endosperm. Processing removes most of the bran and the germ which account for up to 80% of the nutrients leaving around 20%. This means when you have white pasta or white bread you have Three major problems!
1- You eat for the nutrtion in your food to repair and renew the cells, but with processed food you are loseing up to 80% of the nutrition.
2- Because it is processed there is no fibre there so what is left ie the starchy endospern is just calories ie its suger or it turns to suger very quickly, causing your blood suger level to jump up so now your pancreas has to produce insulin to bring the blood suger level back to balance. Imagine if you are always eating white bread flour, white pasta, white rice etc etc you are doing a ding dong with your blood sugar. This is one of the contrbuting factors towards the increase in diabetes. and is also why people get so tired.
3- There is no or very little fibre in the diet. This means when you eat meat and cheese and chicken and egg etc and it sticks to the lining of your intestines and goes bad you are stuck with it, but the if you ate whoefoods with the high levels of fibre then when they pass through your digestive system they are like a broom scrubbing your intestines clean removing these toxic putrified (dried and srivelled up) food items .


Man cannot improve on nature so when we eat we should try to eat our food as close to its form from natue as possible. In my familly when we eat at home it is agreed that we only bring home Wholefoods and that is our rule. Of course when we eat out we accept what we find but we rarely eat out. Finally you might say that white tastes nicer then say brown pasta but even if you have a sense of pleasure from eating the white stuff very quikly you will be tired and bunged up. For my age I feel I have a tremendous level of energy and sense of wellbeing which I would not replace for a few moments of pleasure.

2.The Balanced Plate. 
This is a big subject. Basically imagine you can categorise food according to its qualities. Certain kinds of food can be classed as either acidic or alkaline in their effect on the body. If you eat an acid-forming food the body will use alkaline minerals from the alkaline-forming foods you eat to process the acid-forming food. The same for alkaline-forming foods.
The problem comes when you eat too many acid-forming foods. This will have the effect of robbing your body of its alkaline minerals. First the body uses the alkaline minerals in the blood but it then has to start robbing them from the bones. If you eat too many foods that are acid-forming then you may increase your risk of osteoporosis. fragile bones, arthritis etc. What are acid forming foods? Well meat, cheese, fish, eggs, grains and nuts and seeds in general. If your diet has a high input of these foods then you can balance it by increasing your consumption of alkaline foods ie fruit and vegetables and seaweeds in general.

3. Raw versus Cooked 
Whether you concerned about salmonella in peanut butter and bisphenol A residue from foods packed in plastic, or just plain confused by misleading food labels, less-processed foods are the answer.

4. Eat Local. 
Get your foods locally, so you can ask your farmer how she grows her food, and how she cares for the soil.

5. Eat In Season
Get your nutrition from foods that are in season whenever possible to ensure freshness and reduce food miles.

 

Vitamin C
Top 10 Sources
Fight colds, boost your immune system and promote healthy tissues.
Calcium
Top 10 Sources
Build strong bones and a bright smile.
Potassium
Top 10 Sources
Lower blood pressure and build strong muscles.
Vitamin E
Top 10 Sources
Keep skin and hair youthful, and fight disease.
Iron
Top 10 Sources
Build strong muscles and keep your blood healthy.
Vitamin A
Top 10 Sources
Promote good vision, and a healthy immune system.
Beta Carotene
Top 10 Sources
Fight disease, and boost your immune and reproductive systems.
Vitamin B12
Top 10 Sources
Maintain healthy nerve cells, red blood cells and DNA.
Vitamin B6
Top 10 Sources
Maintain healthy blood sugar, a strong immune system and youthful skin.
Lycopene
Top 8 Sources
Fight cancer and other disease with this phytonutrient.
Vitamin K
Top 10 Sources
Heal fast, and build strong bones.